Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Mystery Review Monday: Beach Week 2011!

So I'm technically not cheating you all out on a review, because I'm going to give you thoughts about my vacation:) I'm still away from OK with it's blazing 104 degree heat, which is great, as Missouri's temps are in the 70s and 80s right now. But North Carolina, specifically Emerald Isle where we stayed, is fun, breathtaking, and plain old beachy.

I went with two of my best friends from high school and their significant others. We had to plan this baby a year in advance so we could all get time off. The first night we arrived, we took a moonlight walk on the beach. I can't even describe how perfect it was. I longed for a pen and a pad of paper almost...but that would have disturbed the peacefulness. It's been so long since I felt wet sand between my toes and ran in and out of a soft tide's lapping waves. The moon was nearly full and partly covered by clouds. We picked out the Big and Little Dippers, caught up on our lives, and held hands with our husbands.

Magnificent.

Here are some pics:

Kris, me, and Ash, best friends since we lived in Okinawa, Japan over 10 years ago!

First day at the beach, which was a 2 minute walk from our house. It's much sunnier than it looks. I became a giant fried lobster.

Preparing for an epic water balloon fight against the guys, who we locked out of the house and didn't let back in. They had the hose though, in case you were worried about fairness.

My awesome in-laws' 3 story beach house (see how the name gets smaller at the end? You're meant to scream the first syllable).

What my husband would look like as a crab (the aquarium! We mostly learned that there's a popular crab with one huge claw and one tiny one- box crabs??  Guess I didn't learn much. Ok, I looked it up- fiddler crabs. I'm thinking of the box turtle).

The boys bbqing, just the way we like it!

Kristie and her moose!  She got hit by a deer on the way down from WV, so we bought a toy moose and threw it on her car as she pulled in. It's not as cruel as it sounds.

Brendan and me on the porch swing, an absolutely amazing place to sit in the cool morning breeze and read.

We went shopping at Food Lion 2-3 times a day (possibly the only island grocery), played board games every night until 3 a.m. (our favorites were Guesstures and Catch Phrase- Ashley and I both brought 4 games each!), played at the coolest mini-golf course ever because they take you to hole #1 in a train, and watched people catch dogfish (baby sharks) on the pier at night. 

Best. Vacation. Ever.
Thanks ladies (and guys!).





1 comment:

Sarah Allen said...

Great pics :) Looks like you guys had a blast~

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)